BOOKWORM REVIEW: Madame by Sara Cate

 

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
SPICE: πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

The Salacious Players' Club series ends with Eden's story, and I am here for it.

Years before we come to know Eden St. Claire, she was a completely different person, but thanks to Ronan Cade, that has all changed. Now Eden is the Domme we know and adore: confident, mysterious, and sexy. 

Then Clay Bradley enters the picture, and he seems to rock the perfectly curated and emotionless world that Eden has built for herself. When Eden shoves him out of her life for daring to touch something in her, he returns years later with a woman by his side. Jade is diametrically opposite of who Eden is, but looks can be deceiving because Jade wants to learn from Eden. Can she keep feelings outside of this arrangement, especially when she realizes that despite kicking Clay out of her life, he possessed her heart all along?

First of all, I love Sara Cate. Her books are always a must-read for me despite being emotionally wrecked by a few of them. SPC has been one of my favorite erotic series with Give Me More and Eyes on Me leading the charge as my favorites and setting the bar (high) for the rest of the series. 

Eden's story just seemed out of place with the series I know and love. Don't get me wrong; the story still ate. I love the chemistry between Clay and Eden and Jade (though be warned - the Jade-Eden dynamic may seem instalust/instalove for some). The spicy scenes are par for the course with Sara Cate; they're hot, they're creative, and they will leave you thirsty and wanting for days.

If I had read this as a standalone, I would have taken the story for what it is, but the Eden in this book did not quite fit the Eden I've met in previous books. The confident, mysterious, and sexy Domme that flitted in and out of the SPC world in books one to five has some serious dents in her armor in this read. While I had expected that to some extent, I felt there was a certain lack of consistency from the woman in this read.

Like I said, regardless of what I think is somewhat of a major flaw, the story itself is still fantastic. 

** I am voluntarily reviewing an advance copy of this book. Thank you to Sara Cate for providing an ARC. **

ABOUT THE BOOK

They think they know me, but they have no idea.

As a professional Madame, I see men and women come and go. But no one ever sticks around, and I like it that way.
I have a secret to protect—at all costs.
So when the cocky, handsome, and submissive Clay Bradley weasels his way into my heart, I do the one thing I’ve always excelled at. I push him away—forever.
And like a good boy, he listens.
But a few months later, during a chance encounter, he shows up again, but this time he isn’t alone.
He has the stunning Jade on his arm.
And she has a request of her own. She wants me to teach her.
I should say no.
Training a woman who makes my knees weak is bad enough. But this particular woman is dating the man who still has my heart. It’s a recipe for disaster.
Made worse by one simple thing: they know my secret.
And they won’t let go.
But how can I protect what’s mine if I’m holding onto them too?
Jade and Clay are the only ones who truly see me and the only ones who know…
I’m so much more than a Madame.


MEET SARA CATE

Sara Cate is a USA Today best-selling author of steamy romance and sexy book boyfriends. Although she writes a wide range of tropes, Sara is best known for her age gap and taboo romances. One thing you can expect from her entire collection is heaps of steam and plenty of angst.

Living in Arizona with her husband and kids, Sara spends most of her time reading, writing, or baking.

Connect with Sara