BOOKWORM REVIEW: Yes Chef by Waitlyn Andrews


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
SPICE: πŸ”₯.5

I have a confession to make: I don't usually give low-spice romance books a true five stars. As an avid romance reader, spicy scenes are a strong measure of the main characters' chemistry for me.

Until Waitlyn Andrews served us this fantastic enemies-to-lovers gem.

Claire Richards escaped to Paris in search of herself and a Michelin star. A sous chef at seasoned Chef Elliott's Teaks, she is well on her way towards her goal. That is until Chef Elliott brings in stoic but focused chef James Sullivan to help get them on Michelin's radar. 

To everyone else, James is friendly and easygoing while firm in his directions. With Claire, he is tight-lipped and critical. Too critical if you ask her. She can't even shake him off outside of Teaks as he is not only her next-door neighbor, but he seems to be everywhere she is. The more she spends time with James, however, the more she finds out that there is more to him than meets the eye. More that sends her heart beating faster.

First of all, don't read this book while hungry. Andrews provides such vivid details about the dishes and ingredients that it is an absolute foodie dream. While she does not narrow the featured cuisines to French alone, readers will certainly get pulled into the Parisian atmosphere. 

I adore both main characters. I love the depth and arc they are given in this read. I have to admit I have a softer spot for James. He is such a cinnamon roll that made me swoon at how caring and thoughtful he is. There is something to love about a man who is so transparent about his affection to everyone else -- including us readers -- except for the female lead. Romance. He just absolutely served romance at every turn, and I was eating it up like he was eating Claire's chocolate mousse (that's not a dirty pun).

I have a serious thing for broken female leads who find their strength and identity. Some of my favorite books have this particular detail, and Yes Chef joins the best of them. Claire's journey from being an uncertain chef and person to a self-assured, confident one was so great to watch. The progression is so subtle and well-integrated with the main plot; I had so much fun going along with her journey.

This is a closed-door romance read, but if you are like me and look to spicy moments as a form of chemistry, you will find that chemistry is hardly lacking at all. Waitlyn Andrews does an amazing job of leveraging every close proximity between James and Claire to ramp up the tension and connection, and it will keep you turning the pages.

This standalone read also had an amazing ensemble cast. I would love to read more about James' sisters and Claire's sister is so freaking adorable that I want her story, too.

If you love foodie romance reads with tons of chemistry and swoony moments, this is a fantastic pick.

** I am voluntarily reviewing an advance copy of this book. Thank you to Waitlyn Andrews and NetGalley for providing an ARC. **

ABOUT THE BOOK

I've sworn off romantic relationships, stifling family expectations, and self-doubt. The trifecta, really.

Returning home to run the family business is inevitable, but that doesn't mean I can't spend some time carving my own path of culinary success. In Paris. Because who doesn't love Paris? Because Paris has the best food scene in the world. And I want to earn this my way. Dammit.

Not to brag, but the first four months of living abroad and working at one of the chicest, up-and-coming restaurants in France — everything is going exactly as planned. I go to the market every morning, I run my own schedule, and I don't have to think about my cheating ex or Meredith-Blake-of-a-Mother. Croissant and espresso every morning? A given. Living abroad has been perfect. It's the Nancy Meyers' Dream.

That is, until a tall, all-American golden boy enters my space as the new Head Chef of Teaks. Chef James Sullivan is too attractive for his own good, and I've strictly written off workplace romances.

But, lucky for me, he only chooses to acknowledge my presence when he's critiquing my work every five minutes. Maybe I can tune out those broad shoulders and denim blue eyes....if only those eyes would stop staring at me so intently.

Au Revoir
- Claire Richards

"Yes, Chef" is an upbeat, closed-door sizzling-with-chemistry, romantic comedy that will have you believing in the magic of a 90's Rom-Com again.


MEET WAITLYN ANDREWS

I'm an almost 30-something who misses the romantic optimism of a good '90s rom-com. Since I hope you'll read my books more than my bio, I'll spare you the run-on-sentences about who I am and give you some bullet points for what I'm about:

- HEA or I walk

- Strong female leads chasing a goal are more fun to cheer on

- Reformed Rakes do make for the best husbands, as Mrs. Bridgerton promised

- Miscommunication and cheating tropes make my skin crawl

- If I could live in a Nancy Meyers movie forever, I would. Specifically Parent Trap and Father of the Bride

- If I had to choose between the mountains or the ocean...I wouldn't. I love them both too much.

- I take the phrase “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...The man who never reads lives only one.” a little too seriously. I live vicariously through my character's occupations


That should give you a fairly decent set of expectations for the kind of books I write. If you're still curious, well...read the books. :)