BOOKWORM REVIEW: Cloak of Red by Isabel Jolie


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
SPICE: πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

What a fun end to an exciting series!

Sophia's excitement for her first assignment as a CIA operative is quickly shadowed by the fact that she has to partner with Fisher. The Fisher who is 16 years her senior. The Fisher who is friends with her father. The Fisher who was her bodyguard.

But she is not about to let him ruin this opportunity. All they have to do is play husband-and-wife, go undercover, and get some recon. 

Easy peasy.

But an easy plan goes sideways, and now they have to play pretend much longer. The longer they spend together, the more suppressed feelings come to the surface and the more lines start to blur. Will Mr. Work-Above-Anything-Else and Ms. I-Wanna-Do-Well-at-My Job let their feelings get in the way of accomplishing their mission and compromising their jobs?

Isabel Jolie never fails to take you on an adrenaline-inducing ride. She has perfected the balance between romance and suspense, and this read was no exception. I love the chemistry between Sophia and Fisher. Jolie managed the transition in their relationship from protector-protectee to equals very organically, and I especially love the sizzle from the moment Fisher realized that Sophia has grown into an ambitious, self-assured woman. 

Two things stopped this from being a complete perfection. One, it cannot be read as a standalone. One can try, but there are so many details set from the previous reads that would be lost to someone reading this as their introduction to the series. Two, the start is a little slow. It does eventually pick up, but I found myself slogging through the first chapters until our main characters started engaging.

Other than that, this was an intense read that will have romantic suspense readers riveted once the action and spice got going.

** I am voluntarily reviewing an advance copy of this book. Thank you to Isabel Jolie and Grey's Promotions for providing an ARC. **

ABOUT THE BOOK

HE'S THE LAST PERSON I EXPECTED TO POSE AS MY HUSBAND

His skills are legendary.
He's a force. A wall of impenetrable muscle and skill. A CIA legend.

As a teen, I was abducted, then rescued. He was sent by my father to watch over me, protect me, and keep me safe. Now, all these years later, he's back. But I don't need his protection anymore.

I'm no longer a scared defenseless girl. 

The CIA recruited me, not the other way around. 
They need us to be "married," the hot young trophy wife to lure the invisible men from the shadows. But I'm no one's trophy. 
And the ones who robbed me of my innocence will soon discover that they can't hide in the dark anymore.

Cloak of Red is a former military, billionaire, age gap, forbidden romantic suspense, fake marriage romance between two CIA undercover officers. She's a billionaire heiress, and as a teen and college student, he was her bodyguard. Cloak of Red is the third standalone romance in the Arrow Tactical Series and is part of the Wolf trilogy, a modern-day take on Little Red Riding Hood. The first two in the trilogy do not need to be read in order to enjoy Cloak of Red.


Add to Goodreads ➡️ https://bit.ly/3rtloUA

MEET ISABEL JOLIE

Isabel Jolie writes contemporary romance when she's not working her day job or raising her two teenage daughters. She holds a BA Journalism from UNC- Chapel Hill and an MBA from New York University.

Connect with Isabel