BOOKWORM REVIEW: Love After Never by Melanie Kingsley

 

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
SPICE: πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Layla Sinclair has been searching for answers all her life, and the seasoned detective will stop at nothing to get them. The biggest mystery in her life has been her father's brutal murder, and just when she was about to put that cold case on the backburner, a lead sent her on Gabriel Devlin's path.

But Gabriel is no regular at the spicy club she frequents. He is also the right-hand man of the man who has a stronghold on Empire Bay. Now he has been tasked to figure out who's been trying to undermine his boss. Will the woman who has captured his attention be collateral damage to his mission?

Melanie Kingsley's dark debut grabbed my attention from the get-go and never let up. Every page flip leads us through a roller coaster full of emotion, suspense, and -- most importantly -- spice. Gabriel and Layla's chemistry was absolutely divine. Even their adversarial interactions held so much tension. I love that Kingsley maintains the main characters' headstrong personalities throughout the arc, but subtly infuses details and charisma along the way so that we're not surprised when two broken people find love..in the most unexpected way.

This is a dark read, so mind your content warnings. It is the first of the series and can be read as a standalone. I will, however, wait not-so-patiently for Book 2's release.

** I am voluntarily reviewing an advance copy of this book. Thank you to Melanie Kingsley and The Author Agency for providing an ARC. **

ABOUT THE BOOK

Even the blackest souls need love…

Seedy underbellies and dark depravities don’t scare me. I’ve seen the worst and survived.

I’ve never seen a man like him before.

Gabriel Blackwell, the raven-haired demon of the underworld. He’s the sickest bastard of them all. He might also be a murder suspect.

If I’m going to do this job and see him behind bars, then I need to use my wits. I do not need to let him slide beneath my defenses the way his hand slips under my shirt.

I can’t stop myself.

And if I don’t, then I won’t make it out the other side of this case. My life hasn’t been anywhere close to easy. He wants me for his own. And a piece of me, the chaotic and traumatized part I barely acknowledge, wants him back. I’m not sure which one will be harder to resist.

18+ Romance. Love After Never is a full length dark romance with enemies to lovers themes, featuring a psychotic tormented hero and a badass heroine. Contains darker themes and lots of steamy scenes. Book 1 in the Empire Bay series.

Get Your Copy ➡️ https://amzn.to/42oYyKR
Add to Goodreads ➡️ https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/123908902-love-after-never

MEET MELANIE KINGSLEY

Melanie Kingsley is a pen name for a USA Today Bestselling contemporary romance author exploring her dark side. She writes gritty, no-holding-back romances that will keep you on the edge of your seat and your sanity. Happily ever afters may be guaranteed but getting there will be a ride. She loves her fur babies and coffee (light and sweet, go figure), travel, and tile match games. Putting her lifelong love of reading to good use, she now spends her time giving morally gray characters their redemption.

Connect with Melanie