BOOKWORM REVIEW: One Touch by Lena Hendrix

 

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
SPICE: πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

When I picked up this read, I was all in for a good time. Ex's grumpy, rugged older brother? Heck yeah. Small town charm? Count me in. Lena Hendrix spice? I am ALL IN.

What I did not anticipate was how much I was going to get wrecked by the angst and how much I enjoyed getting wrecked.

Kate Sullivan was tired of being treated like a porcelain doll by her family. No, she is not going to break while trying to do the renovation of her family's old farmhouse by herself, though she is liable to break something...or maybe somethings. When her brother Duke solicits his best friend Beckett Miller to take over the renovation, it lights a fire in Kate that her three brothers did not quite anticipate.

Sure, Beckett might be the owner of an award-winning home-building company, but he is also the brother of Kate's deceitful ex-boyfriend. Blood relation aside, he has always been cranky and aloof when it came to dealing with her.

As the renovation commences, Kate and Beckett find that in between their bickering sessions, the animosity makes way for something else. The summer nights aren't helping their libido, either.

"You are my sun, my moon, and all of my stars."

I mean, COME ON. I was already sold on Beckett's grumpiness, secret tender heart, and dirty mouth. His willingness to go to therapy and using e.e. cummings to woe the woman he loves? Solid placement in the top 10 fictional boyfriends of all time. 

His chemistry with Kate? That connection starts to sizzle in the first chapter alone, and they couldn't stand each other then. From that point onward, we are at the mercy of their tension, banter, and flirtations until Lena Hendrix gives us a slight reprieve..with a super-sexy poker game. If you're looking for a hot read to equal the summer temps, get yourself a fan and a copy of this one.

I am usually wary of third-act angsts, but Hendrix delivers it so well in this one. I too was pining away as the seasons pass by, and I felt so much for our main characters. I love that their growth wasn't rushed, but at the same time, it did not take away from the great pacing of the book.

This is the second installment of the Sullivan Family series, and each book has kept pushing the bar higher and higher. While it can be read as a standalone, I highly suggest getting the full Outtatowner experience by reading Wyatt's book, too. If you're a long-time Lena fan, you would also love the small Easter egg about Chikalu in this one.

** I am voluntarily reviewing an advance copy of this book. Thank you to Lena Hendrix for providing an ARC. **

ABOUT THE BOOK

Falling hard for my ex-boyfriend's rugged older brother was never in the plan. Beckett Miller may be my brother’s best friend, but he’s also the last person on earth I want to ask for help. He’s stubborn, demanding, and doesn’t care at all what people think of him––everything his little brother wasn’t, and definitely everything I should not want.

Thanks to my own stubbornness and my three infuriating siblings, he is the only one who can help me renovate my beloved aunt’s farmhouse. Beckett thinks I’m a doormat and I know he’s an arrogant prick, but toss in one late night game of tipsy strip poker and before long, endless summer days turn into scorching hot nights.

Listen.

I can fix everything around my friends’ problems, my brothers’ love lives, maybe even the decades-old rivalry that divides our cozy, coastal town. Beckett’s snarl and heavy sighs are no match for me.

The only thing I can’t seem to fix is the way my body reacts when he swings a hammer. I built walls to protect my heart after what his brother did to me, but I’m finding it could all come crumbling down with just one touch.


MEET LENA HENDRIX

Hi there! I’m Lena.

I write hot-as-sin small town romance novels. My love of romance started with my grandmother’s Harlequin paperbacks and now I write stories full of heart, heat, and plenty of strong Alphas with marshmallow insides-I like my coffee hot and my heroes hotter!

I’m a midwest gal and live with my husband, three children, and two derpy Australian Cattle Dogs. When I’m not writing or devouring new novels, you can find me hiking, camping, fishing, and sipping a spicy margarita!

Want to hang out? Find me in my FB group Modern Belles: Steamy Romance Readers

Connect with Lena

Website: https://www.lenahendrix.com/
Tiktok: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMe93ExoP/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lenahendrixwrites
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/authorlenahendrix/
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/21309117.Lena_Hendrix
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/modernbellesromance