BOOKWORM REVIEW: Star-Crossed Letters by Sarah Deeham

 

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
SPICE: πŸ”₯πŸ”₯.5

Olivia wanted a simple life. Writing during her spare time when she isn't making coffee or selling books at the bookstore/cafΓ©. Hanging out with her best friend Daisy. Texting with her other best friend Remington - whom she never met. 

You see, Remington is not even his real name. They met after he responded to a note she left in her grandmother's Remington typewriter she pawned off. They became pen pals and eventually texting buddies. When she took a chance to tell him who she is and how she felt, he did not react the way she expected and broke her heart. 

Keeping her distance from Remington and putting her heart back together, she could not believe her luck: Hollywood star Chase comes through the doors of the cafe and he cannot stop staring at her mousy self. Despite his attraction, he cannot give her the affection she is looking for because he is afraid of subjecting her to the Hollywood limelight. What's a girl to do when your best friend and your Hollywood crush break your heart and when they are one and the same?

This was such a cute slow-burn read. I love the fun, flirty dynamic between Remington and Typewriter Girl, and when it moves to real-life, the chemistry between Chase and Olivia definitely ramps up. Chase transforms from a sympathetic friend to a growly, possessive alpha. The push-and-pull from his dilemma builds on the sizzling tension between the two. 

The spice does arrive despite the wait, and it was worth the slow burn. There is a slight element of mystery, which was a pleasant surprise. The pacing toward the end stumbled a bit for me, but it took very little from the overall story. 

Looking for a low-angst fun romcom? This comes with my recommendation.

** I am voluntarily reviewing an advance copy of this book. Thank you to Sarah Deeham and Grey's Promotions for providing an ARC. **

ABOUT THE BOOK

One girl with a typewriter + one movie star = anonymous pen pals, a secret crush, and a steamy, slow-burn summer to risk it all.

The bookshop barista...
When I sold a vintage typewriter, I never imagined its new owner would become my pen pal, best friend, and secret crush.
We have two rules: no photos and no real names.

Over the years, "Remington" and I go from typewritten notes to daily texts, but our rules stay the same. And so does my life. I'm a wannabe writer who can't complete a novel, and I've fallen for a guy who I've never met. So when I receive a letter my Nanna wrote before she died encouraging me to embark on a summer of risks--my first on the list is to break all the rules.

& the celebrity...
I hate keeping secrets from my pen pal, the one woman I care about. But I'm Hollywood's hottest celebrity, and my fame is toxic. If I get close to a girl, she becomes vulnerable, stalked by the tabloids, trolls, and superfans.

Our anonymous friendship works until "Typewriter Girl" suddenly ghosts me. Now, I'll do anything to ensure she's safe, including stepping out from behind the screen and leading a double life.

MEET SARAH DEEHAM

Sarah Deeham is the author of sexy slow-burn romance novels to make readers smile and swoon. With a master's degree in writing and publishing, she got her start in writing as a freelance journalist, communications and marketing manager, and an editorial director for a public relations agency. She is an American expat living overseas and currently makes her home in Kuala Lumpur with her husband, two children, and lazy golden retriever. When she's not sitting in a cafe dreaming up stories, she's a photographer and world wanderer.
 
Connect with Sarah
Website ➡️ www.sarahdeeham.com
Goodreads➡️ https://bit.ly/3IrRUMR