BOOKWORM REVIEW: Claimed in the Chaos by Opal Fairchild


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 
STEAM: πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯ 

For her full-length writing debut, Opal Fairchild writes like a seasoned veteran, creating an enchanting dystopia and taking us along for a journey with two characters on the opposite sides of the war over Earth.

Claimed in the Chaos starts with our FMC Rowan watching in horror as alien ships invade Earth and unleash rabid beasts that spread chaos and death. Fast forward to the present, Rowan is trying to get medicine for her sick father and encounters one of these rabid beasts, now hunting for any free humans. 

The world-building in this novel is fantastic. Opal just pulls you into her world with in-depth details, creating a vivid image in my head as I read through the book. And this dystopic world does not play convenient games. People stink and people starve, and I admire that there is no deus ex machina to get them out of those realities.

The pacing is spot-on. I felt a serious adrenaline rush when reading how Rowan encounters Krux and his family and fights back at Krux. From there, we go through a serious emotional rollercoaster as our two main characters figure out what is going on.

I love a resilient heroine who is not scared to fight back, and Rowan is a warrior. I am not her only admirer as we learn Krux loves a feisty mate as well. And their chemistry is FIRE. Even when they were fighting each other, we start to feel a low simmer of lust that only grows as these two navigate the Olgar invasion together. This is a slow burn, but the wait is worth it because those scenes are HOT and KNOTTY.

I am enamored by this fictional world, and I cannot wait to visit it again when Book Two comes out.

** I am voluntarily reviewing an advance copy of this book. **

Claimed in the Chaos is now available and free with Kindle Unlimited.

ABOUT THE BOOK

The apocalypse didn’t arrive with angelic trumpeting or zombie attacks.

Nope, it came with massive alien ships and complete domination. The aliens sent out gigantic, terrifying beasts to capture every human they could find to use us as slaves. And very few of us remain free. 

Daddy’s sick and needs medicine, forcing me out of our home and into town. Where nothing is safe. When a beast discovers me and shifts into something almost human, declaring I’m his mate, and that no matter what, he will have me. I tell myself not no, but—hell no.

But Krux’s touch and golden eyes set my body on fire. He swears his kind doesn’t want to hurt humans, that they’re enslaved by the Oglar who are destroying my world and his. 

wants to work together to save both our people from enslavement, but he’s the enemy... 

right? 

They took everything from us. Within the chaos, can love bloom? 

Claimed in the Chaos is an OV inspired alien shifter novel with a snarky heroine and a hard-headed hero. It is an enemies to lovers. This series will deal with darker themes, but I will always give you ample warning. 

MEET OPAL FAIRCHILD


Opal Fairchild has always loved monsters and thought, ‘hey why does the Beast look better as a monster than he does as a human’. Alpha males who can both be aggressive, but a cinnamon roll is her ultimate favorite, so she decided why not write about them? Fantasy worlds in distant places filled with strange magic and tech she loves writing about things that get you feeling.

She is living in North Carolina with her two cats who drive her nuts and husband.
When she isn’t a gremlin hunched over her keyboard, she loves hanging out with squirrels, sitting with trees, collecting animal skulls and playing video games.

Want to connect? Find me on Tiktok and Instagram.

Connect with Opal