BOOKWORM REVIEW: Sporting Goods by Roxanne Tully

 


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5    
STEAM: πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

This book was not what I had expected it to be. Yes, it is still a sports romance between a single mom raising a son who wants to play hockey and a former professional player who is trying to keep hockey in his past.

But there are elements of suspense, action, and drama that I did not quite anticipate but thoroughly enjoyed.

Logan is trying to erase anything related to hockey in his present. After a serious in-game injury caused by a lousy cheap shot from an insecure rival, he walked away from the game and is managing a sporting goods store with his sister.

Rayne is also running away from her past. She is trying to raise her young son by herself. She too detests hockey, and when she and her son Jax go into Logan's store, they soon discover that their individual distaste for hockey have more in common than they think.

Full disclosure: this book did not really have many spicy scenes, so if you're in a mood for that, this is not the book for that vibe. BUT you should consider this book for the great storytelling and thoughtful exploration of how a single mother tackles verbal and emotional abuse from an ex-partner with whom she shares a child. I am grateful that Roxanne Tully presented someone who made mistakes as she worked through setting boundaries for herself and her son. She also beautifully wrote how Rayne eventually comes to terms that she could never get a psychopath to empathize even for their own kid.

The book was more focused on Rayne, and I would have loved Logan's story to be more flushed out. There were moments where he acted what I considered to be out of character, and while most did not take me out of the story, there was one instance in the end that felt too harsh coming from him.

Other than that, this was a fantastic read, and I would definitely be checking out more Roxanne Tully books.

** I am voluntarily reviewing an advance copy of this book. **

Sporting Goods is now available and is free with Kindle Unlimited.

ABOUT THE BOOK



If I never hear the word hockey again, it will be too soon.
That’s why you won’t find a single item in my sporting goods store; no blades, pucks, or sticks.

It never existed for all I cared. But I cared. More than I wanted to.

It still hurt. Not my arm. The pain doesn’t bother me anymore. It was the rage, hostility, humiliation and of course – the gut-ripping realization of knowing my career with the NHL was over. Only two years after it started.

Until Rayne—and Jax, her seven-year-old son walked into my store, looking for hockey gear—and lessons. They couldn’t possibly had come to a worse place for that.

But try saying no to a gorgeous blue-eyed blond…oh and his hot mom too… when in a matter of minutes, the two managed to put more smiles on your face than you thought possible.

It’s just my damned luck though – that this woman has more of a connection to a world I try everyday to forget.

Get Your Copy Now: https://geni.us/sg101921

MEET ROXANNE TULLY

Roxanne grew up in New York City, where she studied theatre, stage management and screen writing. Her passion for writing and storytelling started very young and every story had to have its beginning, middle and end – even if it never made it on paper.

In 2015 Roxanne completed a Sci-Fi screenplay, which is currently being re-worked into a series with several episodes.

While her genre was never limited, she now enjoys writing contemporary romance, creating realistic heroine’s with relatable rising actions. 

A traditionalist at heart, Roxanne enjoys spending time in bookstores, scrapbooking and baking for no reason. She now lives in New Jersey with her real-life male hero.

Connect with Roxanne