BOOKWORM REVIEW: Wake Up, Alpha by Anna Fury


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
STEAM: πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

If you saw my review for The Alpha Awakens, you know that the bar has been set high for this series.

Book two picks up from where it leaves off with Samson and Penelope.

Everyone at the Compound is still working on understanding how a virus -- that affects only men – can be managed. For Samson, it is even more puzzling. He is still growing even after the initial phase, he experiences random wildling episodes, and he can sense everything more so than his pack brothers.

Penelope is searching for her best friend Mallory, our heroine from book one. She finds herself tracking Mal down to the Compound, where she meets Samson and the rest of the Alphas.

Oh, Samson. He doesn't say much, but boy, when he does, you will be blushing from head to toe. He is well-read, sharp, and just so freaking adorable.

And Penelope. Pen's sassiness is unparalleled. There is a line she says that had me laughing so hard and wishing it were on a shirt. I would love to have her as a ride-or-die, because who else would traverse through the unknown and face off with Alphas two feet taller than her just to find her friend? My new BFF, of course.

Speaking of unmatched, the πŸ”₯ scenes. Anna writes them so well. The build-up leaves you breathless. Because I am a good friend, I am warning you - be prepared for the dinner scene in the beginning that will have you clutching your pearls. When these two do get some action, it is spicy, dirty, HOT.

What I love about this series overall is that while each book may focus on a couple, it also infuses significant world-building as you go through their story. The Alpha Awakens laid much of the groundwork for the story's background. Wake Up, Alpha is now starting to develop important pockets of the world that will be key in the later books.

That said, Anna does an amazing job of giving you enough information that this book can be read as a standalone and that you won't feel like you're left hanging as you get details for the future books.

She also gets you super-invested in these characters. Two books in, and I feel like they're MY friends. No spoilers: the climax scene had me crying in a parked car at my kid's practice. The dad in the next car over may have thought I lost my mind.

Like I said, while these books wrap the main story up nicely, she creates such an amazing world and fantastic characters that it leaves you craving for the next installment. I know I am counting down the days to book three.

** I voluntarily reviewed an advance copy of this book. **

PURCHASE LINKS:
The Alpha Awakens is available now and free with Kindle Unlimited:⁠
Wake Up, Alpha comes out in mid-September and can be pre-ordered for 99 PENNIES⁠
If you like a little MMF action (and who doesn't like a little Alpha sandwich), Wide Awake is also available for pre-order⁠