BOOKWORM REVIEW: Iced by Bella Matthews

 

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
SPICE: πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

I always welcome another story from one of my favorite fictional families, and I was beyond thrilled when Bella Matthews announced that we are getting Jace Kingston's story.

Jace has been trying to clean up his image. Tired of the fast and loose lifestyle, he has switched his focus to hockey and staying healthy. Then two big events happened on his draft day: His brother Max drafted him to his family's own hockey team -- despite Jace's protests that he should not -- and Jace finds out that he is a father. 

The whirlwind changes have left the new draftee overwhelmed, so much so that his family hired a nanny for him. India has been struggling to find a kindergarten teacher gig, but her lack of experience has kept the doors closed. When she gets an offer to be a nanny so enticing that it would pay off her debt, she immediately accepts, not realizing that there is something else equally enticing that comes with the offer. 

Instalust/love in full-length novels has always been 50/50 for me, but as a long-time Bella Matthews fan, I had faith this book would fall on the better half. I love it when I am right.

The chemistry between Jace and Indy is incredibly hot from the get-go and just builds and builds until it threatens to set my Kindle on fire. I love their natural bond over taking care of Jace's son Cohen, and the progression of their relationship fans the flames of their spicy connection.

Of course, this would not be a classic book from the Kroydon Hills universe without the appearance of the prolific Kingston family and their loved ones and friends. I really enjoy Bella Matthews' exploration of the dynamic between Jace -- being the second-youngest sibling -- and Max and Scarlet. We can clearly see each side's well-meaning intention, and I love that it stays within character from how these three -- and to an extent the other siblings -- viewed each other. The arc of that subplot was so endearing to see, and I liked that it became a continuation of Max and Scar's character development from their respective stories.

This read can absolutely be read as a standalone. Despite the massive size of the Kingston clan, Bella Matthews consistently does a great job of weaving in key details about each character that would move the story along. However, as a Kroydon Hills fan and regular, I highly recommend going back to Matthews' backlist so you too can fall in love with these characters as much as I did. 

I love that we start to get small previews of future characters, and I have to admit that I am so greedy that I want all of their stories as soon as possible. I suppose I can exercise a little bit of patience for the next release.

** I am voluntarily reviewing an advance copy of this book. Thank you to Bella Matthews for providing an ARC. **

ABOUT THE BOOK

I never wanted to be a nanny.
 
That wasn’t in my carefully crafted, five-year plan. The one I came up with after I got a second chance at life. Neither was giving my heart to the beautiful baby boy I was taking care of. Even if I saw that coming the moment I laid eyes on him.
 
Falling in love with his father… now that, I didn’t see coming.
 
But I’d dare anyone to spend time getting to know the real Jace Kingston… 
The man behind the hockey jersey, grumpy attitude, and panty-meltingly gorgeous face.
The one who sings his son to sleep so sweetly… who holds him with such care.
The same man who knows how to light every inch of my body on fire.
The one I can’t resist.
 
It was supposed to be one year of my life.
I’d pay off my student loans. 
He’d get through his first season of pro hockey.
Then I’d help him find my replacement.

If only it was that easy.


MEET BELLA MATTHEWS

Bella Matthews is a Jersey girl at heart. She is married to her very own Alpha Male and raising three little ones. You can typically find her running from one sporting event to another. When she is home, she is usually hiding in her home office with the only other female in her house, her rescue dog Tinker Bell by her side. She likes to write swoon-worthy heroes and sassy, smart heroines with a healthy dose of laughter thrown in.

Connect With Bella