BOOKWORM REVIEW: King of Vegas Part 1 by A.J. Wyatt

 

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
SPICE: πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

I. Am. Not. Okay.

The angst, the suspense, the spice. All of that fantastically mixed together in one dark mafia romance read has definitely had me reaching for my stress chocolates.

Vincenzo di Napoli is now a prisoner of war by the Camorra. The Sicilian mob headed by Daniele da Volterra is determined to take over Cosa Nostra, and it now has one of its most powerful Dons in its grasp. But Vincenzo is not one to give up so easily. After all, he did not rise to be the King of Vegas without making sacrifices and dealing with pain.

What he did not prepare for was navigating a weapon that even the da Volterras themselves did not anticipate: Thalia da Volterra. 

For all of her life, Thalia wanted one thing the most: a place in The Family. Tired of being the Sicilian princess locked up in a heavily guarded tower, Thalia is making moves to prove to her overprotective and overbearing brothers that she belongs among the Camorra.

Her plan: to get the information that her brothers have failed to torture out of di Napoli. 

She is certain that her "carrot" will succeed where her brothers' "stick" has faltered, but when being close to Vincenzo leads to hopes that she has long abandoned, will Thalia be able to go through her plans?

This book is a roller coaster that you will want to ride over and over. The pacing is impeccable; A.J. Wyatt does a phenomenal job of balancing the adrenaline-inducing action with the sizzling emotional connection. Through the highs and lows, the journey she takes you on will keep you on the edge of your seat. 

I love the development of Vincenzo and Thalia's relationship. It perfectly fits the different roles in which they play in their world. I especially love THE TWIST which is related to this, and I cannot wait for that to play out in Part Two.

I swear that A.J. Wyatt has an uncanny ability to make you fall in love with shady background characters. I feel in love with di Napoli when he first made his appearance in a previous book, and here I am again, falling for the mysterious Daniele da Volterra. What are you doing to me?

Yes, this book ends on a cliffhanger. There are also references to characters in Wyatt's previous books, but this duet can be read as standalone. 

This book marks my first five-star read of 2023, and I cannot wait for Part Two.

** I am voluntarily reviewing an advance copy of this book. Thank you to A.J. Wyatt for providing an ARC. **

ABOUT THE BOOK

If you had to choose between family or love. What would it be?

Vincenzo
I’m a captive of the Devil of Palermo, the leader of the Camorra. Stuck in a dungeon, I’m oceans apart from everyone I know and every ally in my arsenal. Until a raven-haired siren enters my dungeon, determined to pull from me what her brothers couldn’t. Her form of torture might not be the same as what I’ve had to endure, but it’s torture all the same.
If I’m not careful, she’ll break my heart and crack open my soul.

Tahlia
I’ve only ever wanted to be a part of my family, to show them my worth and take up my place in the Camorra. That’s why I’ll do whatever it takes to get what I want. If it means I have to play a role to get valuable information from a prisoner my brother can’t seem to break, then so be it.
Staying true to my goal is a little hard when I get to know the man hidden beneath, finding a sort of freedom and connection inside of him I didn’t know I was looking for.


By the end, it’s hard to say who will be set free…and who will be betrayed.

Get Your Copy (Free with Kindle Unlimited) ➡️ https://amzn.to/3Qavzpr

 

MEET A.J. WYATT

A.J has always been in love with books and love stories of all kinds. When she stumbled upon Mafia Romance, her own Mafia Underworld has been brewing ever since. She wrote her first novel in 2020 and Loyalty that Binds was released in June 2021.

When she's not writing, she spends her time with her two little boys and loving husband.

She loves connecting with readers and authors alike - so please feel free to contact her.

Connect with A.J.