BOOKWORM REVIEW: Pasko Na My Love by Elle Cruz, Maan Gabriel, Maida Malby, Mia Hopkins, Sarah Smith, and Tif Marcelo


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
SPICE: πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

This anthology felt like home. 

Every story reminded me of me or someone in my life, in my family, and I could not have asked for a better series of holiday reads that made me proud of my heritage and nostalgic for my family's traditions.

Every story revolved around Lola Naty's 100th birthday celebration, and it made me miss my own Nanang. She would have turned 110 a few weeks ago. Each novella tackles the challenges of love during the holidays for a certain family member, and if you grew up in a prolific family just like mine, this anthology would feel like someone has taken your family' love stories and put them together.

Last Minute by Sarah Smith

This was one of my favorites from this anthology. I love a great rivals/enemies-to-lovers, and Ruby carrying a grudge against Mason since culinary school was a brill foundation. I love how he's back in her life to save the day, forcing them to work together and find out what truly happened years ago. 

Volcanic Love by Elle Cruz

There is always that cousin whose livelihood makes the Titas blush and gossip. Sophie is that cousin. The podcaster reconnects with her older brother's friend Travis, the one who got away. Has her crush waned over the years, and will she finally figure out how to not let him go? 

This short read was so sweet. I also love that the family was very coy about being matchmaker..which I found atypical because my family is the kind that would judge every boyfriend or girlfriend. LOL.

The Deal by Tif Marcelo

Divorced event planner Norah just wants to get this party done and done well. But Oliver is on her to get him into the birthday party because the slacker forgot to RSVP (yeah, we all have THAT cousin). When she tries to sneak him into the shindig, they find themselves connecting in more ways than letting a party crasher in. 

This read went too quickly for me (yes, I know it's a novella). I would have loved to see more of Norah and Ollie's connection.

Illicit by Mia Hopkins

Did I skip the other stories first to jump into this one? Perhaps..and it was worth it. As someone who once stupidly fell in love with an up-and-coming priest, I felt like Mia Hopkins took what should have my story and put it into paper. Don't get me wrong; I eventually found my own romance story, but this definitely brought some happy memories and added some fun fictional ones. My only beef is that it could have used some more sili between Eden and Nick.

So It's You by Maida Malby

This was my unexpected favorite. Vida not only was Lola's primary caretaker, but she also shares the same birthday. So she knows the importance of this milestone celebration and is doing what she can to make it memorable not just for Lola but for everyone. That includes keeping her beau a secret. It certainly does not help that Rafa is Lola's doctor and ten years younger than Vida.

I love Vida and her dedication to Lola, but Rafa stole the show for me. He is such an adorable cinnamon roll, especially with supporting Vida and her adamant ask to keep their relationship a secret.

My Only Love by Maan Gabriel

Ah, second chances. It is one of my favorite tropes, and I am glad the anthology ended with this banger. You would think a US Senator like Drew could have the power to have almost anything he wants, but he had lost the one person he covets the most in law school years ago. Now Angelica is back in his life. Can they rekindle what they've lost ten years ago?

This was probably the most angsty read of the anthology, but I am a sucker for love's ups and downs. Maan Gabriel captured that perfectly with Drew and Gel's story. It also helped that she delivered one of my favorite romance scenes: a good kiss in the rain.

----

I highly recommend this anthology to anyone, Filipino or not. Each story has so much heart, and I love that at the center of it is family.

** I am voluntarily reviewing an advance copy of this book. Thank you to the authors for providing an ARC. **

ABOUT THE BOOK

Family, heart, and a Merry Christmas Happily Ever After.

‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all ‘round Hacienda Luz bustled in celebration of Natividad Luz Moore’s 100th birthday.

A Filipino American woman of courage, strength, and heart, Lola Naty has touched the lives of many. Celebrities and politicians make merry, fine dresses and barong Tagalogs shimmer, and food and drink flow freely. And it’s all to honor family, tradition, and the very essence of that thing called love.

While Filipino ballads fill the chilly Northern California air, hearts throb and passions ignite as six remarkable couples find love in all the right—or wrong—places.


From acclaimed and bestselling Filipino American authors—Elle Cruz, Maan Gabriel, Maida Malby, Mia Hopkins, Sarah Smith, and Tif Marcelo—comes Pasko Na, My Love, a holiday romance collection that is sure to warm your heart and uplift your Christmas spirit.